On the 24th of January, the EFS Chairman Jakub Dejewski will be speaking at the event “WHY CLOSING THE FERTILITY GAP MUST BECOME A SOCIAL AND POLITICAL PRIORITY “, which will take place at the European Parliament in Brussels.
The conference is organised by the association Journalism for Social Change – with its initiative The Why Wait Agenda – and the Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats at The European Parliament in Brussels.
The Why Wait Agenda initiative emerges on a gap. The gap between how many children people want, and how many children people actually have, particularly – but not only – in Europe.
The average age of first-time parents is ever increasing, as is the fertility gap – the disparity between the number of children people would like to have and the children they actually end up having. Several aspects may encourage or obstruct the choice to have children, especially among young adults (such as one’s economic and professional situation, or equality within the couple). Not to mention the fact that millions of citizens are affected by infertility in the European Union, and that women still are discriminated against professionally for being potentially “at risk of motherhood”. The culture of parenthood needs to change.
The event agenda includes speakers such as:
* Brando Benifei – Member of the European Parliament, Head of the Italian delegation / Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats;
* Eleonora Voltolina – Journalist and social entrepreneur, activist, founder of Journalism for Social
Change and The Why Wait Agenda, Ashoka Fellow;
* Joyce Harper – Professor of Reproductive Science at the Institute for Women’s Health, University College London; co-founder of the International Reproductive Health Education Collaboration;
* Jakub Dejewski – Chairman at The European Fertility Society;
* Alessandra Minello – Professor of Demography at the University of Padova; principal investigator of “FORTIES – Fertility Over foRTIES”;
* Jens Van Tricht – Founder and director of the Emancipator Foundation; supporter of the MenCare Global Fatherhood Campaign and the MenCare Parental Leave Platform;
* Yannick Fisher – Venture & Programmes Lead and Changemaker Europe Co-Lead at Ashoka Belgium.
You should mark the date in the calendar and follow this interesting and landmark event.